If the introduction of a fire pump can be thought as the foundation of modern firefighting as we know it today, then 1853 would be the year the village of Brampton established its fire department. The department was made up of residents in the village who assisted when a fire occurred, knowing that in a fire in one home could quickly spread to their neighbours with devastating results.
It is not until 1882 when James Golding, ironically the owner of a bakery that had a fire incident, became Brampton’s first recorded fire chief. His responsibilities including reporting to council the names and occupations of his firemen, maintaining equipment, being in charge of fighting fires, and advising council on the measures necessary to keep the brigade intact.
Lastly, one of the most significant points in the department’s history took place on January 1, 1974 when provincial legislation was enacted to form the City of Brampton, and the creation of regional government in Ontario. This resulted in the merging of the former Town of Brampton with large areas of Chinguacousy Township and Toronto Gore Township, and the subsequent amalgamation of the Brampton and the Chinguacousy Fire Departments. All of the stations and equipment within the new boundaries became the property of the new city. Subsequently, Matthew (Matt) Gowland of Brampton was appointed Chief of the amalgamated department. The Deputy's Chiefs position was awarded to Chinguacousy Chief Jim Brunne. The new department was manned by 105 full-time firefighters and 45 volunteers ready to protect the population of 100,000 residents.