The Urban Community Hub is the anchor and heart of the Uptown Core Precinct with direct connections to Kanneff Park. The design process brings the school boards, community service providers, and community together to guide the design of the hubs’ form, function, and feel. The hub is being designed to serve social, education, cultural, entrepreneurial and employment needs for youth, families, and seniors.
Once built, it will function as Uptown Core’s highly accessible signature multi-purpose pavilion in the park. It will contain a school, library, community recreation centre, day care, arts and cultural uses, an entrepreneur centre, and a range of ancillary public uses. The hub will have something for everyone! The shared common ground of the hub will accommodate both daily life routines and special occasions throughout the year.
The development site includes Kaneff Park and parking lot currently serving the Shoppers World Mall.
A New Model Of Healthy And Sustainable Facility
Brampton’s Urban Community Hub is an "expandable" forward-thinking campus that serve as "beating heart" of the community, developed through collaboration with the University of Toronto School of Cities and public-private stakeholders, the hub:
- implements Provincial priorities including "Transit Oriented Communities", "Healthy Kids Strategy", "Active Living for All Ages" and "Co-location of Public Facilities in Community Hub";
- reposition education, from early childhood, to build skills, competitiveness and shift our workforce towards a “tech-focused & innovative” economy achieving holistic dimensions of public health;
- promote walkability and active transportation to eliminate the high cost of car ownership for our residents, improve citizen health, and move the City to reach a carbon-neutral goal;
- prioritize family-oriented infrastructure including elementary school to make the new TOC a landing place for new immigrants and their families;
- provides a strong community network fostering community leadership, promoting a welcoming environment for all newcomers; and
- enriches traditional elementary education experience with greater access to arts & culture, technology & entrepreneurship, urban agriculture & active healthy lifestyles all under one-roof.