​Walk-in services are available for marriage licences or by making an appointment. Please review all the requirements below before attending City Hall or making an appointment.

Before getting married in Ontario, you must obtain a marriage licence. A marriage licence cannot be issued after a marriage ceremony has taken place. Marriage licences may be obtained from most municipalities in Ontario and are valid for marriage ceremonies occurring anywhere in Ontario for three months from the date of issue.

Obtaining a Marriage Licence

Marriage licences may be obtained by appointment or by walk-in service (first-come/first served).

SAVE PAPER by completing the Online Marriage Licence Application form - you will be provided a reference number, please make a note of this as you will need it when attending City Hall.​

- OR -

Print, complete and sign a paper Marriage Licence Application and bring with you to City Hall. Book an appointment for your marriage licence or attend City Hall as a walk-in and check in at the kiosk.

When you arrive, one or both applicants may attend and must bring:

  • Signed paper-based marriage application or reference number if application is submitted on-line
  • Two pieces of identification for both parties - see list of acceptable identification below
  • Original proof of Canadian divorce, if applicable
  • Foreign Divorce Authorization from the Province of Ontario, if applicable - see more information below

NOTE: If identification are not in English, a certified translation must be provided, along with original documents. Certificated translation must be provided by a Canadian certified translator who belongs to a registered translation association within Canada. In Ontario, the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO) is the registered translation association.


$165.00 (HST does not apply) - debit, credit card (Visa, MasterCard and American Express) and cash accepted. The marriage licence fee is non-refundable.

Identification Requirements

  • Two (2) pieces are required, per applicant
  • Both pieces of ID must be original (photocopies and/or certified copies not accepted)
  • Both pieces of ID must not be expired
  • One piece of ID must have a photo
  • One piece of ID must include a signature
  • Both pieces of ID must provide legal name and date of birth
  • First and last names must match on both pieces of ID (and middle name/initial if it is to occur on the marriage licence)
  • Change of name certificate must be provided if applicable
  • All ID must be in English or French or be accompanied by a translation, certified by the Association of Translators & Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO)

Accepted Forms of Identification

  • Canadian Passport or Canadian Travel Document
  • Passport from another country
  • Birth Certificate
  • Canadian Citizenship Card or Certificate (must contain date of birth)
  • Driver's Licence
  • Government Issued Photo ID Card
  • Permanent Residence Card
  • Certificate of Indian Status Card (First Nation)
  • Nexus Card
  • Military ID
  • Record of Landing-IMM 1000
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence-IMM 5292 or IMM 5688
  • Valid Canadian Refugee Protection Claimant Document
  • Verification of Status-IMM 5009

Unaccepted Forms of Identification

  • Social Insurance Card (SIN)
  • Health Card
  • Temporary resident documents-IMM 1442, i.e. Study Permit, Work Permit, Visitor Record, Temporary Resident Permit or VISA
  • Faith-based record of birth
  • Electoral ID or document
  • Fishing or other sport-based licence
  • Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC) or Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL)
  • Security Guard or Private Investigator Licence
  • Laminated document(s) containing a security mark/embossed seal​
  • Workplace ID badge


Persons under the age of 16 may not marry. For applicants who are 16 and 17 years of age, parental or guardian consent is required. A consent form must be completed and signed by both parents/guardians, witnessed by a Commissioner of Oaths. Consent of Parent or Guardian to Marriage forms are available at our office. Please contact the City Clerk's Office in advance of your appointment for more information.


The person(s) being issued the licence must speak and read English competently, or otherwise must be accompanied by an interpreter. It is the applicants' responsibility to provide an interpreter. Interpreters will be required to show identification and complete a declaration form. Please contact the City Clerk's Office in advance of your appointment for more information.


Canadian Divorce

The original or court certified copy of the Certificate of Divorce is required. Photocopies will not be accepted. Originals or court certified copies may be obtained from the court which granted the divorce, and will be returned to you. A judgement or Court Order (Divorce Order) issued by the Court will not be accepted - a Certificate of Divorce is required.

Foreign Divorce

For a divorce which was issued outside of Canada, a Foreign Divorce Authorization from the Province of Ontario is required. This process can take up to four (4) weeks.

In order to obtain a Foreign Divorce Authorization, applicants are required to submit the following documents to ServiceOntario:

  • Marriage Licence Application Form: completed and signed
  • Statement of Sole Responsibility: for each divorce (signed by both people who are planning to get married and a witness)
  • Legal Opinion Letter: from an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both people who plan to get married, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario
  • Divorce Decree or Annulment: an original or court-certified copy in English or French. If the decree is in another language, a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator, must be included

These documents must be mailed directly to:

Marriage Office
PO Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay ON P7B 6L8

Once applicants have received this Authorization to Marry from ServiceOntario, they can then apply for a marriage licence.

Further information is available from our office and at ServiceOntario.

Further Information

Please visit ServiceOntario for more information about getting married in Ontario.

Please contact the City Clerk's Office at 905.874.2100 or email marriage.licence@brampton.ca for more information.