The Ebenezer Community Hall (former Ebenezer Schoolhouse), located at 4494 Ebenezer Road, is a testament to the design, construction and uses of rural, one-room schools in a fashion promoted by Dr. Edgerton Ryerson, the “father” of the Ontario education system.
The Ebenezer Schoolhouse was a 'union school', serving the boundary areas between Toronto-Gore and Vaughan Townships. J. Mason (likely local builder, Josiah Mason) prepared the plans and specifications. Harry Hill, mason and plasterer, and Frank Hewgill, carpenter, painter and tinsmith, built the school in 1892. The school opened in November 1892 and operated continuously until 1962.
Ebenezer Schoolhouse holds the distinction of being the last surviving township hall in Brampton. Between 1962 and 1973 the building served as the Toronto-Gore Township Council Chambers.
The property also reflects the history of Brampton - particularly its rural legacy. The Ebenezer Schoolhouse is a tangible, well-preserved symbol of the history and development of the area. The Schoolhouse, along with the nearby Ebenezer Chapel, is a landmark that helps form a cultural heritage landscape at the intersection The Gore and Ebenezer Roads.
Through the collaborative efforts of City staff, coupled with the strong support of Council and federal stimulus funding, this one-room schoolhouse has been relocated and restored. The future stability of the designated heritage site was in jeopardy because of The Gore Road widening. A comprehensive plan to ensure the long-term conservation of the Schoolhouse was undertaken, which included:
- Relocating the building further back within the existing property, onto a new full-height basement. The existing visual and spatial relationship between the building and the intersection were maintained;
- Introducing a new parking area and a heritage landscaping treatment that includes the retention of the original building foundation in part of a garden area;
- Replacing the building’s mechanical and electrical systems; including a new geothermal heating/cooling system;
- Restoring the exterior and interior heritage fabric and detailing, including belfry, fish-scale shingles on the front gable, windows, interior detailing and lighting;
- Introducing a new platform lift, barrier-free universal washrooms, servery and staircase; and
- Introducing a bio-swale to retain storm water on the site.
The project was completed in 2011. The days of the Ebenezer Schoolhouse and the Township Offices have long passed. However, a new chapter has begun as the one-room schoolhouse has been transformed into a much needed community space. With the retention, restoration and adaptive re-use of the old schoolhouse, the City of Brampton has been able to demonstrate its commitment to the conservation of our local heritage, while addressing the broader demand for public spaces.
Note: This distinctive heritage facility is available for various functions including business meetings, social events, small receptions, etc. For booking information please contact 905.874.3477.