Leashing and Running at Large
In Brampton, you must keep all dogs on a leash whenever they are on any property other than your own. In addition, dogs on their own property must be leashed or contained by an enclosure, fenced area or tethered under the supervision of a custodian.
You are responsible for making sure that your dogs do not run at large. A dog running at large means that it is unleashed, off its owner's property and not under its owner's control.
Brampton has designated
leash free areas. The City encourages you to use these areas whenever you want to exercise your dog off its leash.
Animal Services staff may pick up any dog running at large and keep it at the animal shelter. If you allow your dogs to stray at large or off leash in undesignated areas, you could be fined as much as $5,000.00 for each offense.
Stoop and Scoop
You must clean up after your dogs.
We are asking for your help in keeping our parks and boulevards places that everyone can enjoy by walking your dog on a leash and removing any mess that your dog may make.
If you don't clean up after your dogs, you could be fined as much as $5,000.00
Licensing and Registration
You must licence your dogs and cats with the City of Brampton.
You can buy
licences online, in person at
Brampton Animal Services located at 475 Chrysler Drive, Brampton or City Hall, main floor cashier or by printing our licence form and mailing it along with a check to City of Brampton Animal Services, 2 Wellington Street West, Brampton, Ontario, L6Y 4R2.
Please remember to notify Animal Services about any change to your address or phone number so that we can update your pet’s registration..
If you don’t license your dog or cat, you could be fined.
Number of Animals
You can keep a cumulative total of six cats and dogs per household, with no more than three dogs. City by-laws prevent you from keeping these animals in Brampton:
- All Anseriformes (such as ducks, geese, swans)
- All Galliformes (Such as Roosters, grouse, pheasant, turkeys)
- All Raptors (such as Eagles, Hawks, Falcons, Owls)
- All Sciuridae (such as Prairie dogs, Giant squirrels and Flying squirrel)
- All Marsupials (such as kangaroos and opossums)
- All Non-Human Primates (such as gorillas and monkeys)
- All Felids except the Domestic Cat (such as Servals, lions and tigers)
- All Canids except the Domestic Dog (such wolves and hybrids)
- All Viverrids (such as mongooses, civets and genets)
- All Mustelids except the Domestic Ferret (such as skunks and weasels)
- All Ursids (Bears)
- All Artiodactylus Ungulates (such as cattle, goats, sheep and pigs)
- All Procyonids (such as raccoons, coatis and cacomistles)
- All Hyaenas
- All Perissodactylus Ungulates (such as horses and zebra)/li>
- All Elephants
- All Pinnipeds (such as seals, fur seals and walruses)
- All Venomous Reptiles
- All Ratitie Birds (such as ostrichs, rheas, cassowaries)
- All Edentates (such as anteaters, sloths and armadillos)
- All Bats
- All Crocodilians (such as alligators and crocodiles)
- All Arachnids (such as scorpions and tarantulas)