Noise Wall Requests
Noise wall petitions are subject to regulations set by the province.
The Municipal Act, 2001 established Local Improvement Regulations which provide a mechanism for projects (such as noise walls) to be funded jointly by the municipality and the benefitting property owners (O. Reg. 586/06). Works administered under the Local Improvement Regulations can be initiated by municipal councils or begin with a request from the property owners.
The cost for new retrofit noise walls is split 50/50 between the affected homeowners and the City. For the replacement of existing noise walls, the City will cover 75% of the cost and the benefitting homeowners will cover the remaining 25%.
Noise wall requests that are initiated by residents follow the steps below: