Many Brampton residents make plans​ to improve their properties by landscaping, changing the grade of the land, or stripping the land. Before undertaking any of these projects, homeowners/contractors are required to apply to the City of Brampton for a Fill Permit.​

Fill is any type of material placed on land, including soil, stone, concrete, asphalt, sod, or turf. When a resident receives a Fill Permit to change the grade of their land, City staff will inspect the property and offer advice in an effort to avoid potential drainage problems.​

​A Fill Permit ensures that:

  • Surface drainage on neighbouring lots is not affected by the proposed work
  • Lot grading features such as swales and catch basins are not changed
  • Work is done safely and complies with City standards
  • City streets are kept free of debris during the filling or stripping process

The City may enforce compliance to ensure the work being done matches the design that was approved for the Fill Permit.

Permit fees vary based on the work proposed, review Fill By-law 143-95 for more information.

Are you filling in/removing an in-ground pool?

  • You are only required to obtain a Fill Permit if the existing grade of your property is being changed.
  • It is recommended that the floor of concrete pools be broken and all vinyl, plastic and metal be removed to allow for proper drainage.​​

Are you installing a new inground pool?

  • ​A pool enclosure and a pool enclosure permit is also required. For more information, check out the ​Pool Guidelines page.​
  • A plan(s) satisfactory to the Commissioner of Public Works & Engineering is to be submitted including:
    • Shape and size of the lot including dimensions of the yard
    • Proposed swimming pool including shape, location, overall dimensions and setbacks to property lines and dwellings
    • Existing and proposed accessory structures and their overall dimensions (ex. sheds, cabanas, detached garage). Any accessory structures to be removed or relocated shall be labelled
    • Indicate the location of pool equipment with setbacks specifying if mounted on a pad or placed within an accessory structure
    • Existing and proposed landscaping and hardscaping (ex. trees, gardens, flower beds, interlocking, river rock treatment etc.) including dimens​ions and setback from the property line (minimum 0.6 m seatback from the property line is required)
    • Indicate existing and proposed rain water flow using directional arrows and show locations of the rear yard catch basin, if applicable
  • Soakaway pits, infiltration trenches, subdrains, etc. are not accepted as a replacement for existing or proposed swales and/or catchbasins

Contact Public Works and Engineering

Public Works and Engineering
Williams Parkway Operations Centre - 1975 Williams Parkway
Brampton, Ontario L6S 6E5
 Email Us

Need to report an issue?

 Create a 311 Service Request