​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Welcome to the Zoning Information Page. If the answers to your zoning questions cannot be found here, please feel free to contact us.

Zoning By-Law​

By-law 270-2004, as amended, is the City of Brampton’s comprehensive Zoning By-Law. The Zoning By-Law contains provisions that regulate the use, size, height, and location of buildings and structures on all properties wit​hin the City. The provisions of the by-law will specify the permitted uses (e.g. commercial or residential) and the required standards (e.g. building size and location) in each zone. The goal of the City’s Zoning By-Law is to create harmonious neighbourhoods and communities by ensuring that adjacent land uses are compatible and by setting regulations that govern built form.

To review the Zoning By-Law online, please click here.​

Second Units (Basement Apartments)

A second unit is a self-contained apartment unit consisting of a room or rooms in a detached, semi-detached or townhouse dwelling. The unit may be in any part of the house, not just the basement. These apartments are sometimes referred to as granny flats, nanny suites, in-law suites or accessory apartments.

On April 22, 2015, Council approved requirements and restrictions to regulate the creation of a Second Unit. Registration of two-unit dwellings will begin on June 22, 2015. The addition of a second unit will be permitted if the dwelling complies with the Zoning By-law, Building Code and/or Fire Code.

To review the Registration Process and Registration By-Law passed by Council click below:

Making a Complaint

All complaints regarding zoning and the use of property will be investigated by the City’s By-law Enforcement Division. If you have a concern about compliance with the zoning by-law and wish to have our By-Law Enforcement Division investigate a particular property, please call 311 if you are in Brampton or dial 905-458-3424 from anywhere. You may also e-mail your concerns to enforcement@brampton.ca. To link to the City’s By-Law Enforcement website, please click here.

Applying for a Variance or Exception

There may be a circumstance where a property owner wishes to ask for an exception to a requirement of the zoning by-law. To do this you must apply for a minor variance through the Committee of Adjustment process. Th​e Committee of Adjustment is an autonomous tribunal that operates under the authority of the Planning Act, to review and make decisions on applications for exceptions to the zoning by-law and land divisi​on. For more information about the Committee of Adjustment or to make an application for variance please click here.

Zoning Information Online

To view the City's Zoning By-law online please access the following link: Zoning Online.​​​

Contact Planning, Building and Growth Management

Flower City Community Campus
8850 McLaughlin Road, Unit 1,
Brampton, Ontario L6Y 5T1