​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Garden Suite Banner
  • Step 1: Apply through the Planning Division for Custom Home Approval and Zoning By-Law Compliance.
    • A fee of $500 will be applicable, along with a $5000 security deposit.
    • Visit this Planning webpage for all the appropriate instructions
  • Step 2: Apply online through the Building Division for a building permit. Submission requirements include:
  • Step 3: Educational Development Charges (EDCs) is collected prior to building permit issuance. The City collects EDCs on behalf of the school boards, based on the EDC rate at the time of building permit issuance. EDC rates for the Dufferin-Peel Catholic School Board and the Peel District School Board can be found here​.
  • Step 4: Complete construction and book inspections as required.
  • Step 5: Email ESA Certificate from the Electrical Safety Authority to twounit.zoning@brampton.ca and we will finalize your registration. Completing the registration process ensures a garden suite meets all requirements under the Ontario Building Code or Fire Code, Electrical Safety Authority and local Zoning By-Law. A registration system also helps the City identify the location of garden suites.​



Phone: 3-1-1 (within Brampton) or 905.874.2401 (outside Brampton)

In Person:

City of Brampton Building Division
8850 McLaughlin Road, Unit 1 (Flower City Community Campus)
Monday to Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm

Email: twounit.zoning@brampton.ca

Other Contacts

Association of Architectural Technologists of Ontario

Brampton Fire Services

Electrical Safety Authority
1.877.ESA.SAFE (372.7233)

Insurance Bureau of Canada

Land Registry Office
1 Gateway Boulevard, Brampton

Ontario Association of Architects

Ontario One Call (Call Before You Dig)

Profession​al Engineers Ontario

Region of Peel Service (Water) Connection
905.791.7800 x7973​

Contact Planning, Building and Growth Management

Flower City Community Campus
8850 McLaughlin Road, Unit 1,
Brampton, Ontario L6Y 5T1