​​There are two types of liquor licenses—one type is a new liquor license for a permanent establishment such as a restaurant or retail store; the other is a Special Occasion Permit, which is for a special, one-time event.

Permanent Establishments

Liquor licensing for a permanent establishment (eg. restaurant, bar) is granted by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO). Application packages are available online ​or may be obtained by contacting the AGCO at 416.326.8700, or by visiting them at:

Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO)
90 Sheppard Avenue East
Suite 200
Toronto, ON
M2N 0A4

The application includes a Municipal Information Form which must be filled out by the applicant and provided directly to the City Clerk’s Office at:

City Clerk’s Office
Main Floor, City Hall
2 Wellington Street West
Brampton, ON
L6Y 4R2

The City Clerk's Office processing fee is $75.00, payable by cheque, cash/debit, or credit card. The City Clerk’s Office processes the Municipal Information Form, as follows:

  • Receives the document completed by the applicant and payment
  • Confirms the “wet/damp/dry” status and completes the municipality’s portion of the form
  • Returns the completed form back to the applicant with a letter stating that the City Clerk received confirmation that there are
  • no outstanding orders to comply against the property; that the use is in compliance with the Zoning By-law; that the premises have Brampton Fire and Emergency Services approval; and that the establishment has the appropriate business license(s).

The City Clerk's Office will contact you when the Municipal Information Form and letter are ready for pick-up, usually within 24-48 hours of receipt.

The application package also requires Letters of Compliance from Brampton Fire and Emergency Services, City of Brampton Building pision, and Peel Public Health . The City Clerk's Office does not forward your application to those areas; this is the applicant’s responsibility. Please ensure you contact these City and Regional services to obtain any necessary approvals. Depending on the nature of business conducted at the permanent establishment, a business license from the City Clerk’s Office may also be required.

Special Occasion Permits

Special Occasion Permits (SOP’s) are also granted by the AGCO. As of April 1, 2018, the AGCO will only accept applications through the iAGCO portal, available at iAGCO. As of that date, the LCBO will no longer accept or process paper applications for SOPs.

There are three types of occasions where an SOP may be issued: Private Events, Public Events, and Industry Promotional Events. The following provides information specific to Public/Outdoor Events, and the requirements of not only the AGCO, but the City of Brampton.

An applicant for a Public Event SOP must provide notice in writing to the City Clerk, Peel Regional Police, Brampton Fire and Emergency Services, and Peel Public Health informing them of the event and identifying the physical boundaries (detailed sketch):

  • at least 30 days in advance for events where fewer than 5,000 people are expected to attend, and
  • at least 60 days in advance for events where more than 5,000 people are expected to attend.

If a tent, marquee or pavilion is used, the City of Brampton Building pision must also be notified.

Public Event permits may only be issued to:

  • A registered charity under the Income Tax Act (Canada);
  • A non-profit organization or association organized to promote charitable, educational, religious or community objects; or
  • An event of municipal, provincial, national or international significance.

Events/applicants requiring municipal significance by the City of Brampton must obtain a resolution from City Council. Once notification is received of the event from the applicant, it will be circulated to various stakeholders, the Mayor, members of council, Enforcement and By-law Services, Public Services, Parks Operations, and Brampton Fire and Emergency Services) for their information and consideration. If there are no objections to the event, the City Clerk’s Office will report to the next available City Council meeting for consideration of the request. If Council approves a Resolution deeming the event to be municipally significant, the Resolution will be provided to the applicant for inclusion with their permit application.If the timing of the event and next Council meeting does not permit the matter to be considered by City Council, an alternative process may be available. Please contact the City Clerk’s Office for more information.

The City Clerk's Office processing fee for events requiring municipal significance is $75.00*, payable by cash, debit, or credit card.

The City Clerk’s Office is committed to ensuring this process is smooth and efficient. Therefore, if you are having an event requiring a Council Resolution for municipal significance, please be sure to advise the City Clerk’s Office at least eight (8) weeks before your application is due to the AGCO.

*Effective January 1, 2023, the fee is $100.00.

Temporary Liquor Licence Extension

As of January 1, 2023, the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) has now provided municipalities the ability to approve temporary outdoor extensions of an already licensed area. Please note, the AGCO still is the approval authority for any temporary indoor extension or permanent outdoor or indoor liquor licence.

Liquor licensees looking to request a temporary extension of their liquor licence to an outdoor space are required to contact the City Clerk's Office no less than thirty (30) days in advance of when you plan to begin serving or selling liquor on the extension.

AGCO pre-conditions for a liquor licencee municipal approval request include:

  • The physical extension of the premises must be adjacent to the premises to which the licence to sell liquor applies.
  • The licensee is able to demonstrate sufficient control over the area to which the extension would apply.
  • There is no condition on the licence prohibiting a patio.
  • The capacity of the area to which the extension would apply allows for at least 1.11 square metres per person.
  • The licensed premises would not be subject to a temporary outdoor physical extension for more than a total of eight (8) months in a calendar year.

Municipal approval requests must include:

  1. Establishment name and address
  2. Applicant name and contact information plus a secondary contact name and contact information
  3. Event details including date and time range, and the nature of the event
  4. Written approval from the landlord/property owner or property manager
  5. A detailed sketch or plan showing the exact dimensions of the proposed outdoor extended licensed area including, but not limited to entrances and exits

The request will be circulated to City staff for comment, objection or non-objection; once all information has been collected, the City Clerk will provide to the applicant a letter of approval, subject to various conditions and/or requirements, including but not limited to:

  1. That the applicant notify local residents of the event, and provide a contact name and number for any complaints regarding noise or trespassing.
  2. That an appropriate level of security be provided, as may be required by the Peel Regional Police.
  3. That any other permits and/or approvals (e.g. temporary structures), as may be necessary be obtained from the City of Brampton.

The City Clerk's Office will contact you when the approval letter is available. At this time, there is a processing fee of $25.00, payable by cash, debit or credit card.

For additional information or to submit a request for a Temporary Outdoor Liquor Licence Extension, please contact 905.874.2113 or cityclerksoffice@brampton.ca.

Related Information

Municipal Alcohol Policy
Liability Insurance Program